Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Rohan's Feeling Better...Dad's Hurt

Rohan is feeling much better now that he is getting some meds for his bronchiolitis. He has a β2-adrenergic receptor agonist for his bronchiolitis (Albuterol), and a synthetic corticosteroid to help decrease inflammation (Prednisone). The nerdy pharmacology information was courtesy of Mara who is studying for her Pharmacology final exam on Friday...
Rohan is getting the albuterol through a nebulizer and he actually seems to really like it. He usually just relaxes and breathes really well. I don't think he even noticed that the mask they gave him is shaped like a purple Stegosaurus! How cool!
With Rohan on the mend I decided I should get hurt. I was playing racquetball against some fellow graduate students and I sprained my ankle pretty bad. I have always had "weak" ankles and I used to have to tape them before any sort of sport. I haven't had any issues for a year or so, but last night was probably one of the worse ones I've had. I actually thought my ankle was broken. But being stubborn (a Syring trait), I walked it off and played for another hour. Good idea. When I got home I took my sock off and we could see the ankle swelling. I iced it and warmed it, and took some COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor for inflammation (ibuprofen; thanks again Mara). Today I wore an ankle brace for stability, which felt really good to have the added support. But when I took it off it really showed a lot of the bruising and swelling around the ankle. Hopefully in a week or so I'll be back on the court, but for now I can only rest it and try to keep it loose.
Here are some pictures from the last few days with a sick kid and a gimpy Dad...

5 comments:

Gatfly said...

Love the pics of Rohan - so sweet! Glad he is feeling better!
I feel for you, Mike! I have "been there, done that" with the ankles -no fun, and that b&b mark will stick around for some time. Hmmmm, what are you now, going on 30-something?? Hope it feels better soon. Dr. Mara to the rescue!

Timothy and Allison Peet said...

Seriously, Rohan's changed since he was here last weekend! Crazy! Mike, good god - that looks horrible! Always trying to get attention, huh? :)

a said...

Nice cankle Mikey! I bet the ladies at the nursing homes love the veiny cankle game you're throwing at them!

Tony, Jen, Taylor and Kaylee said...

I absolutely LOVE the one with him smiling!!!

Tony, Jen, Taylor and Kaylee said...

Mike ~ nice ankle!! OUCH!!!