Thursday, August 30, 2007

Canoe Trip

Mara and I heard of a deal where Thousand Hills State Park was giving half priced canoe rentals if you were there before Noon. We figured we'd fight the Sunday crowds and try it out. Turns out, since we live in the heart of the bible belt, no one goes on the lake before mid-afternoon.

We pretty much had the 573 acre lake to ourselves!

I took a 360º panorama of "Lake Syring". If you click on it you can check out the full resolution photo. We were only allowed to upload 1/2 of the actual picture size (it's a full 360º!). You'll be hard pressed to find another boat/swimmer/kayak in the picture, and you can see 90% of it in the full photo. It was eerie...



We canoed for about 2.5 hours, and it cost us about $10 with sodas! 2 poor students can't ask for much more than that! We didn't take the dogs out because we were not sure of their boats, but there would be PLENTY of room for them! Can't wait to maybe try it out again this weekend, it's supposed to be mid-80's and lots of sunshine.

Oh, and we went off the beaten path (go figure) and I found some poison oak/ivy/sumac. I am pretty much immune to the poison leaves in IA & WI, but apparently not MO. So on top of my tick bites, I have some nice, itchy hives. Looks like more anti-histamines and calamine lotion for me! Woo-Hoo!

No comments: