Friday, October 19, 2007

Flood Plain

Sally called this morning to see how we faired with the heavy rains. We got some serious rain here this last week! The worst was on Wednesday when it rained off and on; but after we got home from work, it started to pour!
For those who haven't been to the house, we have a creek running through our side yard. It's a very shallow creek with maybe 5 inches of water in it on average. The banks are really high though, probably 6 foot at the peak. I used to wonder why they had it banked so high...now I know. The last time it rained a decent amount we got about 3 foot of water flowing pretty quick through the creek, but this last Wednesday it rained MUCH harder.
About 7:00 I took the video below. You can hear how hard it's raining, and in another video (not shown) you can see the "sheets" of rain blowing across our yard. We sat down for dinner, 10 minutes later, we looked out the window and saw how much it had risen. My guess would be 5-6 foot deep. I've never seen a creek flood that fast! It really was quite a site. The time stamp on the first video was 7:01, and 7:11 on the second. I wish I would have just watched the creek for 10 minutes, instead of eating. It would have been really cool to see it rise that much, that fast.
Lucy wanted to play in it, but I really didn't feel like a water rescue that day... :)

2 comments:

Cari said...

As a family living in a federally-declared disaster area, we understand! I hope it doesn't rise to your doorstep! --Stay safe you guys!

Gatfly said...

Wow! Good thing you were home and inside! Yeah, doggie rescue wouldn't have been fun - Linus would have been swept away!
Stay dry!