Sunday, February 28, 2010

Phoenix Open!

With the Phoenix Open across the street from our place, how could we NOT go!?  Mara and I took Friday off and spent the whole day at the TPC Scottsdale watching A LOT of golf.  We hit the high profile holes that big names were playing on.  We followed Phil Mickelson, Fred Couples, Anthony Kim, & YE Yang to name a few.  We hit up the one and only 16th hole pretty early.  It was not very crazy, since it was 10:30am.  We ended up coming back around 2:30 and it was NUTS!  People were wasted, and even a couple of fights broke out!  Most of the rowdiness was good natured and it's pretty impressive how quite 20,000 people can get right before the player tees off.
Saturday I volunteered at the 16th hole as security.  Turns out they had some big wigs that needed a chalet to themselves so I got put on that duty.  To say these guys were connected is an understatement.  Just as I got there, so did the governor of AZ, Jan Brewer.  To say I had great seats is also an understatement.  We were even with the tee boxes, and elevated about 20' above the players, with no obstructions, private booth, free food, and a gorgeous day.  I got to see a ton of great golf, and the 16th hole on the weekend was something special for sure!  No other hole like it in the world.  It really was like something out of Happy Gilmore...:)
Since I was security, I was able to sneak my cell phone in and get some pics & vids.  They are nothing special since our phones have a shitty camera sensor in them, but they are all I got.  Enjoy!


Phil Mickelson (Local AZ St. Grad) Arrives On The 16th:


About As Quiet As 20,000 People Get:

No comments: