Friday, June 26, 2009

2 Years Done, 2 To Go...

It's hard to believe that I am already done with 2 years of Medical School! These last 2 weeks I took Step 1 of two different boards, USMLE (the allopathic-MD boards) and COMLEX (the osteopathic-DO boards) that officially marked the completion of 2 long years of classroom work. I had to take COMLEX (and pass...) to graduate but I opted to take USMLE to open up the residency programs that I can apply to. By taking both boards I can apply to MD or DO residency programs.
I know that it can be a bit confusing about where I am at in school and how many years I have left so I'll explain a little bit:
The first 2 years of med school are spent doing all of the basic science requirements along with the clinical course work. Basically I spent a ton of time sitting in class or studying at home. It seems a little weird that I won't see the same people every day anymore, definitely going to miss that!
The last 2 years of med school are when I get to do rotations with various physicians in their practice. I will be rotating through Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Psychiatry, Surgery, OB/Gyn, along with electives that I choose, right now I definitely will be doing at least one rotation in oncology, the rest I am not sure yet. Each of these rotations will be 2-4 weeks long and I have to pass a shelf exam at the end of each section to graduate. I am SO excited to start clincal rotations and get back to seeing patients, I know it will be tough and long hours but I can't wait to get going!
Over the course of this next year as I rotate through the different clinics I will be figuring out what "I want to be when I grow up", and applying to residency programs through out the US next fall. Based on the results of "The Match",it is WAY confusing and convoluted, I am matched to a residency program where I will complete the next 2-4 years of my training. After 3rd year, along with applying to residency programs I will also be talking Step 2 of the boards (USMLE & COMLEX) as well as getting tested on my physical exam skills.
After completing my 4th year rotations and passing all required tests I will officially graduate from med school and gain the "Dr" title but my training will still not be complete (come to think of it, I don't think it is ever complete). I will spend the next few years learning and practicing as much as I can in the field that I choose. Once residency is complete I will be ready to get my first "Real" job as a physician!
Wow! Just writing that all down made me realize I am 2 years into 6-8 years of schooling depending on what field I go into, seems like so long but if the next few years fly by like these last few, I'll be done before I know it:)
Kind of funny to think about...Rohan will be 2 and 1/2 when I graduate and in kindergarten when I am done with residency:)

5 comments:

Gatfly said...

Wow!
Thanks for the explanation. I think I need to run that off, so when someone asks me, I can tell them - exactly!
We are so proud of you, Mara, that all our buttons are bursting!
Love to you all!

Mary Mathwig said...

You've always amazed me Mara. Where you get you energy and drive from is beyond me. Continue to do well and be well! LLAP

Auntie M

Tony, Jen, Taylor and Kaylee said...

I think I need to do the same as your Mom. When people ask me I never know if I am explaining all of what you are doing correctly. Thanks for "spelling it out". I also don't know how you can study all of the time...I guess that's why not all people can be doctors. You will be an awesome doctor!!! Go get'um Tiger!!!

Sally said...

Were you tired of me asking? :o)

Calds and Nico said...

We are so proud of you!