Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Cat's Name Is Mittens

I came across an old quiz I had taken at UNI. The class was Statistics, which never really made any sense until recently for me, as evident by my answer. I had most of the question answered but I just couldn't get the standard deviation (σ), nor could I get the z-score. I was close though, but just couldn't get it in time before the quiz was over. Before I handed it in I did have a nice quote from the Simpson's to add. From Ralph Wiggum: "My Cat's Name Is Mittens". Turns out my professor was a huge Simpson's fan too and actually wrote the name of the character who said it AND to top it off gave me a smiley face sticker and drew whiskers & cat ears on it, and gave me 9 out of 10...Classic...:) By the way the Std Dev. is correct, but the z-score is -2.88, a significance of 0.002. I finally understand statistics!



And just in case you are wondering...here is the clip from the Simpson's:

1 comment:

Michelle Stokes said...

If you understand statistics so well can you explain to me how it is that I recieved all the good genes and you recieved what was fished out of the "shallow end"?

Thank God your child has Mara's genes to balance out yours!